Thursday, July 31, 2008

Music in Japan (part 7)

After a while, it became quite routine for me to join Mojaco at their shows. I would see them almost every time they played, and often we would go for drinks afterward. One time, we stayed at a club until first train, and another time we met for yakiniku in Asakusa and went to karaoke after dining. It was quite an evening as all of us, including one of my friends and about 3 or 4 of their friends, went stumbling drunkenly around the famous temple in Asakusa, much to the confusion of some German tourists.

When I was asked to make a story about something involving Tokyo, I almost instantly thought about this band which I fostered an odd relationship. At one show, I asked them if they would be interested in helping me out. The guitarist and the drummer/singer were very enthusiastic, but the bass player took some convincing. It's my opinion that she is a bit shy.
I started filming with my friend who is Japanese and speaks fluent English. I was hoping to capture some of the dynamics of me interacting with a band in broken languages, however this didn't end up getting captured on film. Any time I had a camera in my hands, conversation was almost killed, as I couldn't be close enough to them for a good, relaxing conversation.
What I did get was a couple really good live performances captured on tape. I wanted to show their energy on stage, as it doesn't totally come across in the recordings of theirs that I've heard.

I also got a chance to sit down and interview them. This was a bit odd, because first off, it was at a dark, noisy izakaya. It was also odd because my friend took over due to the language barrier. She did a good job, but I felt a little odd not knowing what was being said.

After recording, editing was quite fun, but a little rough in spots. Throughout the interview, I felt it was too dark and when I went to go lighten it, it got too grainy. I got what was I hope a good balance between grain and brightness. The live performances came out better than I expected and sounded really good for what I was working wish. I wanted to include the whole performances in the video, but that would have made it much too long and woud have probably bored anyone who didn't know the band beforehand. Maybe later I'll put them online.

No comments: