Thursday, July 31, 2008

Music in Japan (part 3)

After the collection phase of Japanese music, I still kept listening to Japanese music. The soundtrack of my life was no longer exclusively in English. I got to see the Polysics play live in San Francisco, and Puffy play twice. While the Puffy show was interesting but not great, the Polysics put on a fantastic performance.
Some people I knew had a hard time understanding why I liked music in a language I didn't know, but considering that Japanese people (and many others) listen to a lot of American or British music, it's not really that bizarre of a concept.

When someone asks me "Why did you move to Japan?", my response usually is something generic about wanting to live in another country and hoping to explore the world and see something new. The truth is, like most people, my reasons for moving here are not simple, nor can they be stated in a sentience or two.
I won't deny that one of the reasons I came here was due to music.

No comments: