Thursday, July 31, 2008

Music in Japan (part 6)

Upon entering the club, I paid my money and was asked "Who did you come to see?" I was surprised by the question, as I've never been asked that question. I was also charged more than I expected, as I was forced to buy a drink ticket, which is apparently normal here.
Being the only white guy in a place is something that I've become accustomed to, as it happens quite often. Being alone in a club is an awkward experience, but I've become familiar with that feeling too. Both at the same time is a tad odd, but even more strange when there are about 8 people and they all seem to know eachother. Also, I arrived on time, which was close to half an hour before the first band played, so I'm alone in a basement club by myself surrounded by people I can't talk to. I was fidgeting with my phone, but my phone didn't get any reception underground.

After hanging out for a bit, Mojaco arrived and they recognized me before I recognized them. They seemed quite honored and pleased to see me and I was terrifically happy to see that they remembered me and desired my company.
After the show, they invited me to join them in a "New Years" party (as it was mid January) at an Izakaya. I met a bunch of their friends and we drank copious amounts of Sake and had a generally great time. Some of their friends could speak some English and I had my translation dictionary handy, which proved essential.
When it came time to go, they absolutely refused to let me pay, and treated me way better than they should have. I was quite greatful, and I told them I'd check out their next show that I could.

No comments: