Thursday, July 31, 2008

Music in Japan (part 5)

The show with my roommate was the first time I went to an indie show in Japan. I had a lot of fun and I saw something like 5 bands that ranged from forgettable to quite good. Two of my favorites being Highered-Girl and B.B. Mojaco.
Mojaco was a 3-piece band with a drummer that doubled as a lead singer. They were really entertaining to watch as all of them, especially the drummer/singer, seemed almost overjoyed to be on stage. The lead singer's voice was so amazingly high-pitched, it didn't sound real. If I heard them recorded, I would have sworn someone altered the voice. But, seeing them live, and hearing her talk between songs, I knew it actually sounded like that. I can clearly understand why some people wouldn't like it, but I do.
After the show, I talked to them a bit with my broken Japanese and their broken English. I got their website, email, and phone number. When I got home I looked them up and found out about their next shows.

The first show of theirs I went to solo was quite an odd experience. First off, finding the club was a bit rough. They had a website, but it was all in Japanese. I checked other English websites and few were of any help, as it was a small club and not a place famous at all. I finally found a website made by an English-speaking fan of Japanese metal bands. He'd been to that club and had rather detailed instructions to get there. It told me to go out of Shinjuku south exit, turn right and walk for what seemed like too far. It really is an odd walk, as there's nothing but corporate offices for a while, then suddenly there is a major interstate hovering above your left shoulder while you walk. It doesn't seem right. Like, why would someone start a club HERE? It's the logical equivalent to putting an office for a stock trading company in the smack middle of Harajuku or some other illogical place.
But, as the instructions said, I kept walking until I saw a sex shop, which much like the club itself, seemed to have no business in this neighborhood. Right after that, I took an immedate right and saw the club. I felt really nervous and awkward.

No comments: